Externship Program - How to Apply
Since there are no more seats available this year (2021), we have stopped accepting applications. Thank you for your interest.
Due to this dynamic nature of the pandemic, last-minute cancellation may occur. The document screening process also takes into account the infection situation in the applicant’s area of residence.
Medical school graduates and medical students in their 5th or 6th year at medical schools may apply. You do not have to be a Japanese citizen to apply, but you do need to be fluent in Japanese. Japanese medical school is preferred but not required. Applicants should be reasonably fluent in written and verbal English.
Please understand that while unlikely, the externship program could be canceled or postponed suddenly if there is an unexpected emergency (such as a typhoon or worsening of the COVID-19 pandemic). Summer is typhoon season in Okinawa, and externs will be sent home from the hospital once severe typhoon conditions are imminent. Externs should be prepared to alter lodging and /or transportation arrangements in the event of a typhoon.
This year, we have changed the policy about infection control. According to our new policy, fully vaccinated
applicants can participate in the externship program without quarantine
regardless of the area of residence. As for those who are not fully vaccinated,
if they are arriving from a prefecture that we regard as a red zone, they will have to quarantine for two weeks before entering the hospital or the externship will be cancelled. We follow the CDC definition for “fully vaccinated”:
For Pfizer and Moderna: two doses of vaccine and fourteen days after receiving second dose.
For J and J: one dose of vaccine and 14 days after receiving dose.
Every Wednesday, we update the prefectural infection status map found here
Therefore, red areas can be changed every Wednesday. Please understand we may require you to quarantine or cancel the externship at the last minute if your area becomes a red zone and you are not fully vaccinated. Please understand even if you are fully vaccinated, this fluid situation of COVID-19 may prevent us from holding the externship this summer.
The following credentials will be required: (Each should be written in English.)
Please send an email (do not use your cellular/smartphone to send the email) under the title of “EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION (Your name)” to email@example.com with your full name and the documents (1-6). All these documents (1-6) should be scanned and attached to the email in the PDF format. Please also attach a recent photograph of yourself in this email. As to 7, please write this information in the body of the email.
Incomplete applications will disqualify you from selection as an extern. Up to 4 applicants will be selected for each weekly session. We handle applications on a “FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS”.
WE WILL CLOSE THE APPLICATION AS SOON AS WE HAVE THE FULL NUMBER OF APPLICANTS.
※We have decided to cancel the telephone interview before the externship program this year.
- A completed application form (click here, then print) with a recent FORMAL photograph of yourself (American passport size 5×5 cm, color). This includes the signed statement at the bottom of the application regarding the treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the USA and Japan. While TOEFL (or other English language exams) is not a prerequisite for acceptance into the program, please include your score, if available.
- The completed form (click here, then print) which states your top 3 choices for rotation dates and rotation specialty.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Background check sheet (click here, then print). Please see the "FAQ" to fill the sheet. Signature should be written in KANJI. Please “HANDWRITE” initials for items 29 and 30.
- A photocopy of government issued id that includes the individual’s picture which proves your nationality. For instance, photocopy of your passport.
- A record or proof of vaccines for COVID-19, if applicable (if you don’t have any record, we are afraid that we can’t regard you as a fully vaccinated applicant.).
- The list of all prefectures in which you will stay or travel through two weeks prior to the term of your first choice (including changing planes in an airport. The only exemption is transiting through a prefecture with no stops via car or Shinkansen. Please provide this information even if you are fully vaccinated.).
If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us in English.
*IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING E-MAIL ADDRESS
Unfortunately, the US Navy often blocks yahoo and cellular/smart phone e-mails. E-mails from gmail and Hotmail should not be blocked.